Well, we are well in the middle of another week. If you are reading this post then I have either regained access to internet, hijacked a neighbors signal or just broken into my host families router…a secret I will take to my grave.
I think this blog has allowed me to explore the…how do you say…more colorful (!?!) side of Australian culture. It’s been a fun, if not harrowing, experience. But, the time has come for yet another segment to my blog simply entitled, “UTE had me at Hello.”
The UTE (pronounced U-oot, like hoot, but with a ‘you’ before the oot) is as Australian as Apple Pie is American. It is a symbol of quality craftsmanship, strength, virility and pure testosterone. We know it as the El Camino, but we killed ours off (like the dinosaurs) years ago. However, this machine thrives in the rest of the world.
Simply put, it is the mullet of cars…business in the front, party in the back.
The UTE is as comfortable on the job site hauling materials as it is taking your lady out for a night of light industrial work followed by sexy time. And, Australians love to decorate, embellish or otherwise personalize them until each driver’s personality is clearly on display.
Unfortunately, the idea for this segment came too late to get some of my early examples of UTE pride. But, rest assured, I am on the job and will watching for these beauties.


No comments:
Post a Comment